Environmental Performance Highlights
(1) Energy and GHG baseline includes 109 properties totaling 8.9M SF owned since January 2016 where we have operational control and whole-building energy data available, representing approximately 50% of total portfolio square footage as of 12/31/21. It excludes redevelopment projects, assets held for sale, and dispositions.
(2) Historical GHG emissions were impacted by a change in Measurabl’s GHG calculation methodology, where annual emission factors were updated to account for changes to the eGRID and fuel carbon intensity that affect the carbon emissions generated by energy use. Measurabl uses the year provided by the industry source to assign each set of factors to specific calendar years, going back to 2011. This change increased our 2016 baseline GHG emissions versus the data reported in our 2021 Corporate Responsibility Report and reflects a greater reduction in GHG emissions.
(3) Scope 1 emissions include direct emissions from building fuel use. Scope 2 emissions include indirect emissions from purchased electricity, steam, heating, and cooling.
(4) Water baseline includes 111 properties totaling 9.0M SF owned since January 2016 where we have operational control and whole-building water data available, representing approximately 51% of total portfolio square footage as of 12/31/21. It excludes redevelopment projects, assets held for sale, and dispositions.
(5) Year-over-year energy and GHG performance data includes 160 properties totaling 12.4M SF and water data includes 164 properties totaling 12.7M SF. It includes properties owned since January 2020 where we have operational control and whole-building energy and/or water data available, representing approximately 70% of total portfolio square footage as of 12/31/21. It excludes redevelopment projects, assets held for sale, and dispositions.
Sustainable Capital Investments
Green Building Certifications
Healthcare Realty believes green building certifications incorporate best sustainability practices at our properties and provide third-party validation for our ESG performance.
We have set a goal to increase green building certifications to 45 buildings by 2025.
The Company began pursuing IREM® Certified Sustainable Property (CSP) ® and ENERGY STAR® Certifications in 2021, successfully achieving five new IREM® CSP designations and nine ENERGY STAR® Certifications, more than doubling the percentage of green building certification portfolio coverage.